U.S. Immigration Trends
U.S. Immigration Trends
From its inception, the United States has been a country of immigrants. These interactive charts help track changing immigration patterns and characteristics of the immigrant population through time. By placing immigration to the United States in its broader historic context, the characteristics of today's migration flows and the immigrant communities they establish can be better understood.
Click on the bullet points below to navigate for more information:
- Immigration Over Time
- Immigrants' Countries and Regions of Birth
- Diaspora Groups
- Children in Immigrant Families
- Immigrants in the U.S. Labor Force
- Educational Attainment
- Limited English Proficient (LEP) Population
- Age and Sex Distribution
Green Cards: How Many Are Issued Annually & to Whom?
New Citizens: How Many People Become Americans Yearly & from Which Countries?
Refugees: What Is the Yearly Ceiling & How Many Are Actually Admitted?
By the Numbers: Current and Historical Stats about Immigrants at U.S. & State Levels
- Number and Share of Total U.S. Population, 1850-2016
- Immigrant Population Change by Decade, 1860-2010
- State Immigration Trends: Number and Share of Total State Population, 1990-2016
Unauthorized Immigrants: Where They Live at U.S., State & County Levels; & Their Countries of Origin
- Estimates and Detailed Profiles of Unauthorized Immigrants at U.S., State, and Top County Levels, 2010-14
- Map: Unauthorized Immigrant Populations by Country and Region, Top State and County Destinations, 2010-14
Deferred Action: Who Has DACA & What Are the Participation Rates?
Mexican Immigrants: Current & Historical Stats & Origins & Destinations
- Mexican Immigrants: Number and Share of Total U.S. Immigrant Population, 1850-2016
- Map: Origins of Mexican Migrants to the U.S. by Mexican State of Residence, Number, and Share, 2004-2015
- Regions of Birth, 1960-2016
- Countries of Birth, 1960-2016
- Top Ten Countries of Birth, 1960-2016
- Map: Population Distribution for Countries and Regions of Birth, 2012-2016 (pooled)
- LEP Adults (Age 18 and Older) by U.S. Citizenship Status, by State, 2016
- Total LEP Population (Age 5 and Older): Number and Share, by State, 1990, 2000, 2010, 2016
- Total LEP Population (Age 5 and Older): Linguistic Diversity, by County and State Level, 2009-2013 (pooled)
- Map: English Language Learners by State
- Top 10 Languages Spoken by Limited English Proficient U.S. Residents and LEP Share