MPI Europe Jobs
The Migration Policy Institute Europe is a nonprofit, independent research institute that provides authoritative research and practical policy design to governmental and nongovernmental stakeholders who seek more effective management of migration, migrant integration, and asylum systems as well as successful outcomes for newcomers, families of immigrant background, and receiving communities in Europe.
MPI Europe is committed to recruiting, hiring, retaining, and developing staff at all levels who reflect the breadth of experiences, backgrounds, and perspectives in the regions where we work. This encourages diversity of thought that enriches and adds greater credibility to our work. As such, we are committed to making sure that staff members of all backgrounds work in an inclusive environment with equity and access for all.
What if the next step in your career was to join a team of migration experts who value supporting and learning from each other as much as the exceptional work they do? We are a small but mighty team of researchers who are passionate about all things migration and committed to being essential partners to policymakers and other stakeholders working on migration, asylum, and integration policy in Europe and its neighborhood. We are looking for an integral team member to help us in our mission of promoting better understanding of migration, thus supporting evidence-based and effective policymaking that works for all elements of society.
As a (Senior) Policy Analyst, you will contribute to a high-impact unit of migration experts through your curiosity, solid research, and data skills, as well as analytical and concise writing. We are looking for a top-rate analyst who will quickly get to grips with our rigorous research processes and develop a portfolio of projects that fits within our institutional strategy, while building your own reputation as the go-to expert for different policy issues. As an avid reader, you will be able to quickly assess fast-evolving situations and policy announcements so that you can discuss and analyze these with our extensive networks of policymakers, nongovernmental and intergovernmental organizations, journalists, and other key stakeholders. You will also help strengthen our networks by identifying and building critical relationships—including by speaking at public events and roundtables—and will help tap up-to-the-minute intelligence on policy developments. We are looking for someone who will share our commitment to excellence and impact, thrive off our convivial team spirit, and welcome our commitment to diversity. You will be a vital pillar of the strategic direction of our research and fundraising and become a mentor to junior staff.
If you are a true researcher and writer at heart, with a passion for migration policy, then keep reading, we want to talk to you.
About MPI Europe
The Migration Policy Institute Europe is a nonprofit, independent research institute that provides authoritative research and practical policy design to governmental and nongovernmental stakeholders who seek more effective management of immigration, immigrant integration, and asylum systems as well as successful outcomes for newcomers, families of immigrant background, and receiving communities in Europe.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Design and lead policy and research projects for MPI Europe (and for MPI’s International Program, as appropriate), supervise project staff, and ensure rigor and quality in all project outputs.
- Work with MPI Europe colleagues across all programs, as well as with external collaborators, to conduct innovative research and write influential reports, policy briefs, articles, and commentaries on various aspects of migration and asylum policy.
- Work with MPI Europe senior management to actively identify and pursue new funding opportunities, and lead and develop successful proposals.
- Build and maintain effective relationships and networks with funders and external collaborators.
- Represent MPI Europe and promote its research and policy ideas in the media and public and private settings, including via events, webinars, and teleconferences.
- Contribute to the planning and strategic direction of MPI Europe, as well as the MPI International Program.
- Supervise and serve as a mentor to junior staff, including Research Assistants and Associate Policy Analysts.
- Excellent understanding of the role of public policy in shaping immigration systems, and the ability to analyze, write about, and explain policy issues persuasively.
- Substantial knowledge of EU and Member State governments and institutions, legislation, and political and socioeconomic contexts. Academic and/or professional background in migration policy.
- A minimum of five years of experience (Policy Analyst) to seven years of experience (Senior Policy Analyst) with strong relevance to MPI Europe’s work.
- Exceptional thinking, writing, and editing skills (finalists will be asked to complete an in-person writing and/or editing exercise).
- Ability to break down, analyze, and clearly communicate policy issues to nontechnical audiences, and to visualize and present data effectively.
- High motivation and initiative; ability to handle multiple assignments, prioritize, and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Demonstrated capacity in fundraising and institutional development, and access to a growing network of decisionmakers and opinion leaders in migration and adjacent fields.
- Excellent oral communication skills, as exemplified in delivering presentations, keynote speeches, and panel discussions.
- Proven capacity to effectively manage complex projects and work collaboratively with team members.
- Advanced degree (PhD or master’s) in public policy or a closely related field preferred but not required. Candidates holding a bachelor’s degree who can demonstrate significant work experience with increasing levels of responsibility, high productivity, and strong record of accomplishments are welcome to apply and will be considered.
- Additional foreign language capability.
- A strong track record of work and publications on one of MPI Europe’s core areas of research, such as integration policy, the external dimension of EU migration policy, or climate change and mobility.
- Government and/or direct policy experience.
- Ability to effectively collect and analyze quantitative and qualitative data through both primary and secondary sources.
Salary will be competitive, commensurate with qualifications and experience.
MPI Europe values a diverse work environment and we welcome applications from all candidates who meet the requirements for the position, regardless of origin, race, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristics.
Please send a cover letter, CV without photo, and an unedited, sole-authored writing sample to [email protected] (subject: PA recruitment). Please indicate in your application when you would be available to start.
Candidates who need to obtain a permit to work in Belgium are welcome to apply. Please state this requirement clearly on your CV, if that is the case. Please note that the position is based in Belgium and candidates based in other countries will be required to relocate before or shortly after the start of their employment. Once the pandemic situation is normalized, employees will have the flexibility to work from home for 2-3 days a week and will be expected to be present in the office on the remaining days.
We expect the selected candidate to start in October/November (the exact date will be agreed in the selection process). Due to the high volume of applications, we will only contact the candidates who are being considered for the next stage of the recruitment process.
Sign up for MPI Europe job updates