MPI Europe Jobs
The Migration Policy Institute Europe is a nonprofit, independent research institute based in Brussels that provides authoritative research and practical policy design to governmental and nongovernmental stakeholders who seek more effective management of migration, migrant integration, and asylum systems as well as successful outcomes for newcomers, families of immigrant background, and receiving communities in Europe.
MPI Europe is committed to recruiting, hiring, retaining, and developing staff at all levels who reflect the breadth of experiences, backgrounds, and perspectives in the regions where we work. This encourages diversity of thought that enriches and adds greater credibility to our work. As such, we are committed to making sure that staff members of all backgrounds work in an inclusive environment with equity and access for all.
We are looking for an experienced Office Manager who is work authorized in Belgium and who thrives when taking on diverse responsibilities covering administration, accountancy, grant reporting, and human resources. You would be working with a team of seven MPI Europe colleagues, who are committed to MPI Europe’s mission and who thrive in an international environment. This position offers a permanent contract, a hybrid work schedule (with at least 2 days per week in the Brussels office), an attractive salary and benefits package, and an interesting and rewarding role in a thriving work environment.
In this position, an Administrative Officer and external accounting firm will support you in your work, with you maintaining the oversight, coordinating timely execution of tasks, and regularly and proactively updating MPI Europe leadership on progress and challenges.
Duties and Responsibilities
Finances and Legal/Contractual
- Work closely with MPI Europe’s external accountancy firm to ensure that the financial and accountancy side of projects is in order and kept up to date. This includes tracking the expenditure of direct and indirect costs, closely monitoring financial milestones (e.g. payment schedule, reporting cycle), and securing the timely submission of financial reports to partner, grant, or contracting organizations
- Prepare and monitor the payment of incoming and outgoing invoices
- Prepare the yearly audit, in cooperation with the external accountancy firm
- Review contracts and grant agreements and support the contract management process (e.g. contact point for queries raised by financial offers of partner or funding organizations). Ensure that the institute fulfills legal requirements (e.g. publications in Staatsblad), or is in order with the ambitions it sets itself (e.g. yearly update of Transparency Register).
- Maintain oversight of recruitment endeavors (e.g. arrange interviews with potential candidates, oversee drafting of employment contracts, prepare for the arrival of new team members)
- Act as the contact point for HR-related queries
- Provide timely input to support the development of salary and related documents by the legal expert or external accountancy firm.
- Evaluate and improve the organization’s HR procedures and policies
- Proactively keep an eye out for new office management trends and tools that may support future organizational growth
- Support leadership with constantly improving administrative, financial, and HR procedures and resources.
Skills and Competencies
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and organizational skills
- Demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced environment, with ability to perform under pressure and a strong capacity to prioritize and deliver results
- Ability to balance strategic insight topics and hands-on tasks
- Self-starter who can work independently as well as within a team
- Motivation to contribute to the organization’s mission and growth
- Creativity and interest in workplace innovation.
Knowledge and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in a relevant field such as HR, social law, or business administration
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience
- Proficiency in the use of standard office equipment and Microsoft Office software
- Prior experience in administrative support for a small organization (ideally in a third sector)
- Adept at workplace and virtual conferencing technologies
- Prior experience working with EU- or government-funded projects.
Interested candidates should send a motivation letter and CV without photo to [email protected]. Please reference “Office Manager” in the subject line and include a line telling us how you heard about this position. Please also indicate when you would be available to start.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Due to the large number of applicants expected, only those being considered for the position will be contacted. No phone calls please.
MPI Europe values a diverse work environment and we welcome applications from all candidates who meet the requirements for the position, regardless of origin, race, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristics.