MPI Europe Jobs
MPI Europe Jobs
The Migration Policy Institute Europe (MPI Europe) is a nonprofit, independent research institute based in Brussels that aims to provide a better understanding of migration in Europe and thus promote evidence-based policymaking. MPI Europe provides authoritative research and practical policy design to governmental and nongovernmental stakeholders who seek more effective management of immigration, immigrant integration, and asylum systems as well as successful outcomes for newcomers, families of immigrant background, and receiving communities in Europe. MPI Europe works collaboratively with the International Programme of its sister organisation, the Migration Policy Institute (MPI), based in Washington, DC.
MPI Europe seeks a highly motivated Communications Officer to join its dynamic team in Brussels. The successful candidate will manage media relations and social media strategy; play a significant role with senior management in shaping the institute’s overall communications strategy; write press releases, op-eds, and other materials; perform developmental and content editing; and assist the MPI Europe team in external and internal communications and execution of events. He or she will demonstrate exceptional writing skills, with a strong grasp of communications and social media strategy, as well as graphic design. Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
- Raise MPI Europe’s visibility and that of its policy analysts and research by building relationships with Brussels-based journalists and those covering migration in EU Member State capitals
- Write press releases, op-eds, commentaries, and other materials
- Lead the institute’s social media strategy, craft social media campaigns, and monitor engagement
- Work with senior management to develop and execute overall communications strategy, with a focus on maximising media coverage and proactive engagement with journalists and other key stakeholders
- Expand MPI Europe’s media database
- Maintain up-to-date list of key contacts in EU and national policy communities for outreach
- Liaise with senior staff in Brussels and Washington, DC to ensure integrated communications strategies
- Edit research publications and other work (developmental and content editing)
- Assist with public and private event organisation and execution
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Bachelor's degree with 2 - 5 years of relevant communications experience in a paid position
- Native standard of written and spoken English
- Excellent writing and editing skills, and experience translating policy writing into general-interest audience-accessible materials (finalists will be asked to complete a writing and/or editing exercise).
- Experience crafting successful social media campaigns & digital strategies
- Graphic design experience for creation of infographics and social media visuals
- Creative, detail-oriented self-starter
- Demonstrated ability to prioritise, organise, and complete work independently and in a timely manner
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, Adobe CS Suite (Illustrator in particular), and multimedia editing software
- Familiarity with migration policy in the EU and/or EU Member States
- Previous experience in EU or international environment as well as knowledge of EU institutions and Brussels media strongly preferred
- Additional EU language capability, French strongly preferred
The position will be remunerated competitively, according to experience. Applicants must have permission to work in Belgium.
Please send a cover letter, CV, and an unedited writing sample to email@example.com. Please reference “MPI Europe Communications Officer” in the subject line and include a line telling us how you heard about this position. Please indicate in your application when you would be available to start.
Due to the large number of applicants, only those being considered for the position will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
Monday, 11 November. Submission of applications before the closing date is encouraged.
Sign up for MPI Europe job updates.